Friday, October 1, 2021

Best New to Me - September 2021

 Despite some travel and just being swamped at work I managed to watch quite of few movies over the last month - I watched a bunch of shorts which is a little unusual and I feel like I kicked off spooky season in a pretty major way. I also managed to join some live streams which isn't my usual way to watch stuff but was really enjoyable. Here's the my favorite new-to-me watches over the past month. 


Blonde Death (1984) - James Robert Baker's ferocious takedown of suburban California and straight society in general. It's shot on video but the filmmaking and especially the writing are genuinely terrific. This has been on my watchlist forever and I actually pulled myself out of bed to catch it online after seeing something on instagram. Worth it! 

Lips of Blood (1975) - I am not overly familiar with Jean Rollin's filmography - when I was first digging into more European horror I was more interested in the gory goods than vampire vixens. I'm so glad I caught this though - pervasive atmosphere of strangeness and disintegration along with striking visuals. I'm not entirely sure what happened but I liked it.

Son of the White Mare (1981) - I've been meaning to catch this Hungarian animated film since the restoration was announced a couple years ago. It's an absolutely stunning achievement - the animation is brilliant and yet I can spend hours looking at individual frames and compositions. 

Ozone (1995) - This is just too much fun. I will always love the super-weirdo outsider SOV films but this is a truly ambitious, well made action/horror/sci-fi mashup that happens to have a microbudget. If you're SOV curious - this might be a good jumping off point. 

Scary Tales (1993) - At some point while watching Scary Tales my wife walked in and asked me if this was a real movie that I paid money for. Of course it is...and so much more. No budget, hyper regional horror anthology. Baltimore forever!

Paperhouse (1988) - British kindertrauma from the director of the original Candyman. I found this really struck a chord with me in how it flatly presents a kind of dreamscape energy that reminds me of my own brain movies. 

Possibly in Michigan (1983) - I know this one went viral a few years back but I barely know what tic-tock is so please be patient with me. Surreal, creepy 80s video art that both reminds me of and is better than contemporary attempts to make creepy 80s video art. Malls, masked men, casios, and cannibalism.

The Adventures of the Mutilator, Hero of the Wasteland (1991) - Combined with its sequel, Mutilator takes all the promise of all the kickass Italian post-apocalyptic movie poster art and delivers on it in under 10 minutes. Fist of the North Star meets Heavy Metal meets a 12-year-old's fevered imagination.

Beyond the Door III (1989) - I confess I have not seen the first two films but in the grand tradition of Italian sequels that have nothing to do with their predecessors - it does not matter! Folk horror premise meets Stephen King-esque possessed train meets late 80s Italian insanity. It literally goes off the rails.

Jumbo (2020) - I'm willing to accept that there's not a lot of depth here but this is the story of a woman in love with an amusement park ride. I really loved it.

Frostbiter: Wrath of the Wendigo (1995) - The set up for this is the flimsiest of Evil Dead rip-offs but there's chili-demons, a stop motion wendigo, and Ron Asheton so why wouldn't you watch this?

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (1981) - I always thought this was more of a slasher movie but it's really a fantastic psycho-sexual thriller with a magnificently unhinged performance by the legendary Susan Tyrrell. 

Penitentiary II (1982) - Not as gritty as the first film but also features Mr. T dressed like a genie, a Klique performance, and evil Ernie Hudson. The finale is tremendous. I believe in apple pie! I believe in Too Sweet!

Fortress (1985) - I'd be lying if I said there are no issues with this one but the tone of the ending really surprised me. Not to be missed if you're an Ozploitation fan.

Sole Survivor (1984) - This needs a proper disc release! Really cool (cold), hostile, atmospheric thriller that reminded me a little of It Follows even if it isn't much like that movie.

Alabama's Ghost (1973) - I actually watched this and Hobbs' film The Godmonster of Indian Flats this past month and they're both uniquely weird regional films. Alabama's Ghost is the age old tale of a nightclub janitor that discovers a cache of magical items (and drugs) and uses them to become an international celebrity with the help of a cabal of rock n' roll vampires. Also, there's an elephant.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Best New to Me: April 2024

 April absolutely flew by and I'm still coming to terms that it is May and that the year will be halfway through in a month. I did not w...